Watchmen takes place in an alternative, contemporary reality in the United States, in which masked vigilantes became outlawed due to their violent methods. But with the threat of a terrorist organization known as The 7th Calvary grows on a massive scale, The Keene act was abolished and The Watchmen Program was reactivated in order to stop the threat before it is too late, as a greater question rises above them all; who watches the Watchmen?
- Regina King as Tulsa Police Detective Angela Abar/Sister Night
- Jean Smart as FBI Agent Laurie Blake
- Don Johnson as Tulsa Police Chief Judd Crawford
- Tim Blake Nelson as Wade Tillman/Looking Glass
- Hong Chau as Lady Trieu
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan and Calvin Abar
- Andrew Howard as Red Scare
- Jacob Ming-Trent as Panda
- Tom Mison as Mr. Phillips
- Sara Vickers as Mrs. Crookshanks
- Dylan Schombing as Topher Abar
- Louis Gossett Jr. as Old Man Will Reeves
- Jeremy Irons as Adrian Veidt
- Frances Fisher as Jane Crawford
- Jessica Camacho as Pirate Jenny
- James Wolk as Senator Joe Keene
- Adelynn Spoon as Emma
- Lily Rose Smith as Rosie Abar
- Cheyenne Jackson as Hooded Justice
- Jolie Hoang-Rappaport as Bian
- Dustin Ingram as Agent Petey
- Jovan Adepo as Will Reeves
On October 1, 2015, it was reported that HBO had entered into preliminary discussions with Zack Snyder, director of the 2009 Watchmen film, about potentially producing a television series adaptation.  HBO later confirmed that the reports were accurate.  On June 20, 2017, it was reported that Damon Lindelof was in early talks to develop the potential television series adaptation for HBO. At that time, both parties were said to be in the midst of making a deal and it was confirmed that Snyder was no longer involved with the production. On September 19, 2017, it was reported that the writers' room for the series had opened. . A day later, it was announced that HBO had officially given the production a pilot order and also ordered additional backup scripts as well.  On January 30, 2018, it was announced that Nicole Kassell would direct and executive produce the pilot, written by Lindelof.  On May 22, 2018, Lindelof posted a five-page open letter to fans of the comic book series wherein he revealed that the television series would not be a direct adaptation of the source material or a sequel to it either but instead would depict a new, original story. However, the new story does take place after the original Watchmen. On August 17, 2018, it was announced that HBO had given the production a series order for a first season set to premiere in 2019. On September 20, 2018, it was reported that the score for the series would be composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. On September 3, 2019, it was announced that the series is set to premiere on October 20, 2019. 
On May 23, 2018, it was announced that Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens, and Andrew Howard had joined the cast of the pilot. At least one of the actors was expected to have been cast in a potentially recurring role.  In June 2018, it was reported that Jeremy Irons, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Sara Vickers had been cast in the pilot.    On August 7, 2018, it was announced that Dylan Schombing, Adelynn Spoon, and Lily Rose Smith had joined the pilot's cast.  n November 2018, it was reported that Jean Smart had been cast in a starring role and that James Wolk would appear in a recurring capacity. Additionally, it was confirmed that Irons would portray Adrian Veidt / Ozymandias, that Nelson would portray a newly-devised character named Looking Glass,    and that Vickers and Mison would join the cast. In January 2019, it was announced that Hong Chau and Dustin Ingram had been cast in recurring roles.   In July 2019, it was announced that Robert Redford would come out of retirement and play a fictionalized version of himself who became President of the United States.  As of July 17, 2019, it has been revealed that Doctor Manhattan would appear in the series. 
Principal photography for the pilot commenced on June 1, 2018, in Atlanta, Georgia. Throughout the month, filming occurred in additional Georgia cities and towns, including Macon, Fayetteville, Newnan, Palmetto, Brooks, and Tucker.  In October 2018, filming for the remainder of the first season began in Georgia. Filming locations that month included Palmetto, Brookhaven, Peachtree City, Decatur, and the MARTA station in Chamblee. In November 2018, shooting moved to locales such as Palmetto, Chamblee, McDonough, and the West Lake MARTA station.  In December 2018, the production was working out of Union City, Newnan, and the Georgia World Congress Center. 
|1||1||October 20, 2019||"It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice"||Damon Lindelof||Nicole Kassell||0.799|
|In an alternate America where police conceal their identities behind masks to protect themselves from a terrorist organization, Detective Angela Abar investigates the attempted murder of a fellow officer under the guidance of her friend and Chief, Judd Crawford. Meanwhile, the Lord of a Country Estate receives an anniversary gift from his loyal servants.
|2||2||October 27, 2019||"Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship"||Damon Lindelof & Nick Cuse||Nicole Kassell||0.765|
|As Angela relives haunting memories of an attack on her family, she detains a mysterious man who claims responsibility for Tulsa's most recent murder. Elsewhere, an original play is performed for an audience of one.
|3||3||November 3, 2019||"She Was Killed by Space Junk"||Damon Lindelof & Lila Byock||Stephen Williams||0.648|
|Following a late-night visit from the senator who authored Masked Policing Legislation in Oklahoma, FBI agent Laurie Blake heads to Tulsa to take over the recent murder investigation. The Lord of The Manor receives a harshly worded letter and responds accordingly.
|4||4||November 10, 2019||"If You Don't Like My Story, Write Your Own"||Damon Lindelof & Christal Henry||Andrij Parekh||0.707|
|Reclusive trillionaire Lady Trieu finally enters the stage with a mysterious offer. With Blake getting closer to the truth of her coverup, Angela enlists Looking Glass for help. Meanwhile, The Lord trains two new servants.
|5||5||November 17, 2019||"Little Fear of Lightning"||Damon Lindelof & Carly Wray||Steph Green||0.752|
|The origin story of Looking Glass is at last revealed, as is the truth behind the greatest hoax in American history. The Smartest Man in the World plots a daring escape.
|6||6||November 24, 2019||"This Extraordinary Being"||Damon Lindelof & Cord Jefferson||Stephen Williams||0.620|
|Deep under the influence of Nostalgia, Angela gets a firsthand account of her grandfather's journey.
|7||7||December 1, 2019||"An Almost Religious Awe"||Stacy Osei-Kuffour & Claire Kiechel||David Semel||0.779|
|Under Lady Trieu's care, Angela undergoes an unconventional treatment while Agent Blake chases down a lead. Elsewhere, The Smartest Man in The World delivers a stunning defense of his past actions.
|8||8||December 8, 2019||"A God Walks into Abar"||Jeff Jensen & Damon Lindelof||Nicole Kassell||0.822|
|Angela's mysterious past in Vietnam is at last revealed.
|9||9||December 15, 2019||"See How They Fly"||Nick Cuse & Damon Lindelof||Frederick E.O. Toye||0.935|
|Everything ends, for real this time.|
Behind the Scenes
- Most of the series regulars, except Regina King whose the only main cast member to appear in all the episodes, are only credited for their respective episode appearances. In addition, Don Johnson also has a guest role in two episodes.
- Lily Rose Smith and Adelynn Spoon were also credited in the co-starring bill in "It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice".
- The series takes place in Tulsa, Oklahoma in an alternative reality in 2019—one with no internet or smartphones—34 years after the comic ends.
- Robert Redford is the longest-serving President of the United States, having been elected in 1992.
- After a radical group of Rorschach followers that calls themselves "The Seventh Kavalry" (wearing homemade Rorschach masks) commits simultaneous attacks on the houses of police members, the police start wearing masks.
- In an interview for the ComicBookMovie website, Damon Lindelof revealed that when the Watchmen tv series begins, Robert Redford has been the President of the United States for 28 years, cell phones and the internet have been outlawed, and costumed heroes are now banned.
- Fossil fuels, meanwhile, are a thing of the past thanks to Dr. Manhattan's time on Earth...however, rumors persist that he's hiding out on Mars.
- The police have been forced to don masks to protect their identities and can't use their guns without them being unlocked by a dispatcher first.
- Reparations have been issued for racial injustice but the country remains divided.
- When the series begins, many of the original characters from the graphic novel are believed dead or missing and the focus will instead be put on new character, Angela Abar, an Oklahoma detective who has adopted the superhero identity of "Sister Night."
- However, both Ozymandias and the second Silk Spectre are expected to factor into this story in some way. 
- At the 2019 New York City Comic Con several things were revealed in the panel for the new HBO series, among them: 
- Rather than a second adaptation of the Watchmen comic, Lindelof was more interested in exploring what happened after the events of the comic series.
- The first episode of the series was screened for the audience in attendance.
- The 7K are appropriating Rorschach's ideas.
- Most of the members of the cast hadn’t read the graphic novel before starting work on the series, but were won over by Lindelof’s enthusiasm and the scripts.
- King, received the pilot script in the mail along with a letter and a closed envelope. Inside was an image of her dressed as Sister Night.
- Jean Smart's character of Laurie Blake and Hong Chau's Lady Trieu will not be featured in the first episode. Although at the panel, the audience present were treated to a first look at both roles.
- Lady Trieu is an entirely new character and Chau described her as, "an enigmatic trillionaire businesswoman."
- Laurie Blake has a past linked with the graphic novel, and Smart talked about how her character was, “drawn into the masked vigilante world at a very young age. She has a lot of resentment for that whole culture, although a small part of her might miss it."
- At the panel the cast & crew continued to play coy regarding who Jeremy Irons is playing on the series. He was continuously referred to as “Probably Who You Think He Is”.
- Irons did reveal that, Damon gave him bits of a script which amused him hugely and made him think that, "This is a very interesting character," and that, “that man has such energy and enthusiasm, I don’t know what he’s going to do or make but if he thinks I can be of some help in this story then I’m aboard.”
- The show visually references panels and images from the original text, even as it tells a slightly different story.
- In the EW article, it mentions how Gossett plays a survivor of the 1921 Tulsa race massacre named Will Reeves.
- Nelson plays another masked detective named Looking Glass.
- Music is going to be a big focus for Watchmen, with the show using everything from R&B to vintage barbershop chorus-style tunes and electronic dance music when action picks up. 
- King went onto say at the 2019 New York City Comic Con, that she always roots for the unlikely hero; espousing her love for the Hulk and for comic books generally, earning shout-outs from the crowd.
- Hong Chau called her character of Lady Trieu "cagey", "enigmatic" and “Obviously, she’s a boss bitch,” Chau said. She went onto say how “no one knows what she’s up to.” 
- As of December 4, 2019, it was revealed that the eight episode, which was previously titled, "A God Walks into a Bar" had its title changed after the reveal that took place in An Almost Religious Awe, the name was changed to "A God Walks into Abar".
- On December 11, 2019, Marc Guggenheim that the third part of the Arrowverse crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths featured a Watchmen easter egg in the form of a billboard that's located in Earth-666 which is the home of Lucifer Morningstar. He thanked Damon Lindelof for making this happen.