Red Scare's past and true identity are unknown. What is known however is that he is either of Eastern European or even Russian descent and - as stated himself while performing a raid on Nixonville - is a Communist. He likely hailed from one of these Communist nations before relocating to Tulsa, Oklahoma for unknown reasons. This was likely a possibility due to the United States and Soviet Union able to make peace after the 1985 Squidfall attack on New York City which led to greater relations with Capitalist and Communist nations.
Red Scare is also shown unfamiliar with most religious institutions, likely due to being from a Communist nation where it is deliberately anti-religion. This may make Red Scare an atheist as well.
His superhero identity is inspired by the real life "Red Scare" which saw the United States gripped in fear of Communism and communist sympathizers in the nation. Likely this name was chosen deliberately due to Red Scare being a Communist and to evoke the same fear in enemies.
Powers and abilities
- Police Training: Red Scare has undergone at least the standard police training that all Tulsa Police undergo, resulting in advanced skills in hand-to-hand combat, detective skills, and marksmanship relative to the average civilian.
- Combatant: Red Scare has demonstrated rudimentary combat skills, often using his robust build and raw strength to his advantage.
Red Scare is a somewhat balding man with a robust build. As a masked Police Officer he wears a red hockey mask and red jacket and trainer pants, likely in reference to Russian "Gopniks". The costume is noticeably rather cheap looking.
- "It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice"
- "Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship"
- "She Was Killed by Space Junk"
- "If You Don't Like My Story, Write Your Own"
- "Little Fear of Lightning"
- "An Almost Religious Awe"
- "See How They Fly"
- His alias is a reference to the periods of anti-communist fervor in the United States.
- The casting breakdown described him as the following:
|— Casting breakdown|
- "Red Scare" - History.com
- Eric Joseph (April 26, 2018). Character Breakdowns For HBO’s Watchmen Aren’t What We Expected (website). We Got This Covered. Retrieved on December 2, 2019.