New Frontiersman is a far-right daily newspaper owned by Pioneer Publishing and eventually Newspaper Corporation of America.
New Frontiersman was established in 1949 and was owned by Pioneer Publishing. Originally founded by Victor Godfrey, the paper was eventually passed on to his son, Hector. Typically containing articles espousing far-right and reactionary political and societal views, it was a political antagonist of the liberal Nova Express. Its articles also spoke in favor of the costumed adventurers, viewing them as protectors of the America. However, they were often critical of vigilantes who espoused non-extreme right views such as Mothman, because of his ties to socialist groups, Ozymandias, an outspoken liberal, and Hooded Justice, who was believed to be a communist spy.
Honor is Like the Hawk: Sometimes It Must Go Hooded
In 1985, New Frontiersman released in infamous article titled "Honor is Like the Hawk: Sometimes It Must Go Hooded" as a direct response to Nova Express' criticism of both Rorschach, who was an avid reader of the New Frontiersman, and the paper itself. The article contained a political cartoon including some glaring racial and social stereotypes; a fat, greasy Jew representing big business, an Italian gangster (complete with Black Hand tie pin) representing crime, a black prostitute selling drugs, a dark haired Knot Top youth representing delinquency, and, looming behind them all, the Soviet Union represented by a huge man in Russian costume with USSR in Cyrillic letters on his hat. The Hero who is being handcuffed and unmasked by Doug Roth, representing the liberal media, is blonde and "Aryan" and has a stereotypical All-American family in the audience. Also in the cartoon, Lady Liberty can be seen weeping.
Roger Ailes Lawsuit
In 2018, Roger Ailes, president of Newspaper Corporation of America, parent of New Frontiersman, filed a lawsuit against Veidt Enterprises and Trieu Industries claiming a “systematic campaign of harassment, intimidation, and sabotage” against him and his employees for publishing reports that the Central Intelligence Agency had killed Adrian Veidt for secrets he possessed regarding the Dimensional Incursion Event. The lawsuit was dismissed and the federal government subsequently ordered NCA to either publish an apology to Veidt or pay a $100,000 for violating the Content Code Act. They chose to pay the fine.
- 1954 - New Frontiersman publishes an article featuring photographs of Byron Lewis at the 13th World Science Fiction Convention in Cleveland, Ohio hanging out with artists linked to socialist organizations.
- February 11, 1956 - "Blacks, Whites, and Reds All Over", regarding the true identity and political affiliation of Hooded Justice. Long considered a U.S. patriot, HJ is now considered a communist spy and lays out evidence that he was circus strongman Rolf Müller.
- July 1969 - "The Right Stuff!: Doctor Manhattan and America's New Manifest Destiny", about Doctor Manhattan's impact as well as his assistance with NASA's Apollo 11 mission.
- October 19, 1985 - "Missing Writer: Castro to Blame?", regarding the disappearance of Max Shea two years prior and questions whether Fidel Castro of Cuba is to blame.
- October 20, 1985 - "Our Country's Protector Smeared by the Kremlin", regarding the Soviet Union's response to the exile of Doctor Manhattan.
- October 31, 1985 - "Honor is Like the Hawk: Sometimes It Must Go Hooded"; includes another article "Jewnited States of America" and the missing writer follow-up. Inside, it makes an appeal of clemency on behalf of heroes.
- March 21, 1987 - New Frontiersman begins running excerpts from Rorschach's journal along with a summary of its contents.
- 1995 - New Frontiersman publishes Rorschach’s journal in its entirety.
- September 9, 2019 - The Morning Edition of the New Frontiersman releases "Honor is Like a Hawk: If You Love It, Set It Free", about Robert Redford not seeking another term and the prospect of having a conservative Republican as president of the United States.
- September 16, 2019 - "Global Squidfalls Baffle Scientists", about the phenomena of squidfalls across the world.
- September 25, 2019 - "Four Wounded in Saigon Burning" about the civil unrest in Vietnam.
According to supplemental material in the first issue of Doomsday Clock, New Frontiersman published the contents of Rorschach's journal in 1986, exposing Ozymandias' role in the New York City Massacre. Sometime after the publication of the journal, New Frontiersman ceased publication.
- The slogan "In your hearts, you know it's right" is a reference the presidential campaign slogan of Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater which is "In your heart you know he's right".
- Its slogan is "In your hearts, you know it's right". To that one vandalized the poster adding a graffiti with the word "wing", altering the phrase to "right wing".
- In Chapter II, there is a man resembling Adolf Hitler carrying a copy of the newspaper.
- The Hero portrayed in the New Frontiersman sample article who is being handcuffed and unmasked by Doug Roth is blonde and Aryan and has a stereotypical All-American family in the audience, something not true of any of the masked heroes in the story. Ironically the most blonde and "perfect" of the heroes is Adrian Veidt, the hero New Frontiersman likes least, on account of his liberal leanings.